Monday, April 5, 2010

Chicken with grapefruit and avocado salsa

I did say we eat a lot of chicken, right? So, imagine my joy at finding this helpful issue of Cuisine Lite—


See down there in the right hand corner, Quick Chicken Recipes: 6 Fast Fixes, 15 Minutes? I love stuff like this. Take a dinnertime staple and jazz it up a variety of ways. All of it quick, easy and utilizing ingredients that most of us have on hand. Perfect.

The hardest part was deciding which recipe to try first. I went with the grapefruit and avocado salsa simply because the avocados in the grocery store right now (which I've been tossing into my shopping cart for the last two weeks) have been nearly perfect in their taste and consistency, and trust me, this is not always the way of avocados on the east coast.

Here's all you need to make the salsa:


Seriously. That's it. 
1 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned and cut into bite size pieces 
1 peeled and diced avocado 
1 tablespoon of finely chopped red onion
2 teaspoons of honey
1/4 teaspoon of coarse (or kosher) salt

Mix the ingredients in a bowl, being careful not to mash the avocado, and set aside. 

Here's a helpful hint: If you need an avocado to ripen quickly, put it in a brown paper bag and tuck it into a drawer. Don't ask me why, but it works.


To make the chicken (I used thin sliced chicken cutlets) drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. I added some dried thyme.


Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until chicken is no longer pink.


I served this with my favorite rice and a green salad. Honestly, it was delicious. The flavors in the grapefruit and avocado salsa gave a really nice lift to the grilled chicken. I would definitely make this again. I would, however, increase the amounts for more than two adults. My husband and I had no problem finishing this up, while our son ate his chicken dipped in ketchup (surprise!). If you try it, come back and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Printfriendly