Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chicken loaf

I have recently gone back to some meat eating. I am only eating organic, free range, hormone and antibiotic free. It still is only about 25% of my weekly protein, because of the expense. However, to me, it is worth the price.

As a result, this recipe has been revived in our household. It used to be an old standby and is actually a very healthy recipe, considering the source. Don't be mistaken, this is in no way a traditional "meatloaf".


This recipe is from Emeril's Louisiana Real & Rustic cookbook. I adapted it for our family, because I have no need for a loaf that takes 2 and 1/2 pounds of meat! It isn't super spicy, despite the cayenne and tabasco, but little tongues might not appreciate it. This might be better for a grown-up night, because those flavors truly make this loaf.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground chicken or turkey (I used ground turkey breast)
1/2 c chopped onion
1 T chopped garlic
1/4 c chopped celery
1/4 c chopped bell peppers
1 T chopped parsley
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp Tabasco
1/2 c dried bread crumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the chicken/turkey, garlic, celery, bell peppers and parsley together in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the egg, salt, black pepper, cayenne, Worcestershire, Tabasco and bread crumbs. Using your hands, mix thoroughly. Mold the mixture into a 5 x 10 inch loaf and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake for one hour, or until juices run clear.
4. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.

Um... Bam.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good. My son won't eat meatloaf or hamburger or chopped meat fixed any which way and frankly, I'm secretly glad. But the rest of us? Yeah, pass the meatloaf and the meatballs and the burgers. We'll gobble 'em right up.

    I'll have to try this. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly