Friday, March 5, 2010

Quick 'n' easy turkey mushroom pasta

Sorry. Obviously, I'm in a cooking rut, and everything I make seems to be a one-pan sauce for pasta. But...you know what? It keeps people fed, and it keeps me from going insane with a huge mess in my kitchen and little time on my hands.

This one is particularly quick and easy--and cheap withal. Brown ground turkey--I used a little less than a pound--in butter and olive oil (about a tablespoon of butter, two lugs of olive oil), adding a bit of water as needed, but not too much. Add one or two chopped garlic cloves.

Then, add mushrooms. I added about 2 cups of thick-sliced mushrooms, but the cutting and amount will be to your taste. After letting the mushrooms soften a bit in the heat, add about a quarter to a half cup of heavy cream and a can of tomato sauce. I used a plain tomato sauce that had tomato bits in it, but you can use one that's seasoned with Italian spices. Season to your taste with salt (and pepper if you like pepper, which I do). The sauce will be a sort of cream tomato sauce when you're done. If you need to thin it, I suggest using chicken broth. Bring to a quick boil, then lower to simmer until you're ready to eat it.

That's it. I sprinkled it with Parmesan (because what's not better with Parmesan?) and served this over whole-wheat spaghetti with a buttered slice of ciabatta. My kids loved it (minus the mushrooms, which they still remove), and the Viking claimed to like it, too.

What's not to like? It's inexpensive, fast, and something pretty much everyone (except our famously neophobic three-year-old) can eat. Family fed. Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

  1. I should add, of course you can sub in ground beef for the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sounds good and looks easy - perfect combo. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly